On April 19th and 20th, Root & Rebound and the Streets Scholars Program at Merritt College, will be working with Bay Area communities to create solutions for those impacted by incarceration.
Our first annual Empowerment Summit for Formerly Incarcerated Students & Families will be two community-wide days of action, featuring outcome-oriented workshops, panels, and honest conversations about strengthening and generating educational & employment opportunities for the previously incarcerated, their families, and children. All allies are also more than welcome!
The event will follow in this order:
Wednesday, April 19th
- Message of empowerment from community activist Watani Stiner
- Voices from the Community: panel discussion & conversation about creating a prison-to-school pipeline and increasing opportunities for families impacted by incarceration
- Coalition Building Across Cultural Lines: coming together to support & strengthen our communities
- Roadmap to Reentry "Know Your Rights with a Record Workshop
- Workshop for Families & Children supporting a Loved One in reentry
Thursday, April 20th
- Higher Education: panel discussion on the who, what, when, where, and how of accessing higher ed.
- Family First: panel discussion on resources and tools for family unity, family strengthening, and counseling
- Message of inspiration from family activist Mia Birdsong
- Fair Chance Hiring & Entering the Professional World: panel discussion on game planning for success and finding the "right" job
- Reducing Barriers to Employment: what you need to know about your rights as a job applicant or employee with a record
- Both days will offer free 1-on-1 legal meetings with R&R attorneys, family & community resources, free food, entertainment and activities for kids.
Both days will offer free 1-on-1 legal meetings with R&R attorneys, family & community resources, free food, entertainment and activities for kids.
If you are interested in attending, hosting an informational table about your organization, speaking on a panel, or leading a workshop, please contact Dominik Taylor at email@example.com or (510) 279-4662 with any questions.