Family & Children Toolkit
A Primer for Families Supporting Their Loved One's Reentry
FOR FAMILIES & Loved ones
FOR PEOPLE IN REENTRY
Root & Rebound is thrilled to announce the launch of our Family & Children Toolkit! The goal of the Toolkit is to help family members, friends, and loved ones of people in reentry create an individualized plan for reentry alongside their loved one who is returning home from prison and jail.
The Toolkit offers family and friends the answers to the common questions: "What can I do?,"How can I help?," Where do I go for resources?," and "When should I start planning?" It provides concrete tools, including information, action steps, checklists, helpful hints, referrals, and resources to help families find answers to important questions and create an individualized plan for reentry alongside their loved one.
In an effort to make the planning process seamless for both the individual in reentry and their loved ones on the outside, we created two versions of the Toolkit: one for the person preparing for release, and one for their family members. We highly encourage people in reentry and their family members to use the version of the Toolkit specifically designed for people "in your shoes." We created the Toolkits to strengthen and empower families and friends who SO OFTEN serve as the critical support systems to their incarcerated loved ones!
Special thank you to the Zellerbach Family Foundation for sponsoring the development and publication of this new tool for families impacted by incarceration!
UPCOMING EVENT: Bay Area Toolkit Launch at Gathering for Students & Families Impacted by Incarceration
April 19 & 20, 2017.
Sign up Today to Join us as an Organizational Partner!
Root & Rebound and the Street Scholars program at Merritt College are proud to hose our first-ever Bay Area Gathering for Students & Families Impacted by Incarceration AS WELL AS Community Allies, including Employers, Educators, Service Providers & Advocates.
WHAT: Root & Rebound and the Street Scholars program at Merritt College are proud to host our first-ever Bay Area Gathering for Students & Families Impacted by Incarceration, focused on empowering formerly-incarcerated students and community members and their families with trainings and discussion on planning for successful reentry, knowing your legal rights, accessing higher education, and accessing employment.
WHEN: Wed., April 19th & Thurs., April 20th
WHERE: Merritt College,12500 Campus Drive, Oakland, CA 94619
WHO: Formerly-incarcerated students and community members and their families. While the event has a special focus on students, we invite ALL people with records and their families to attend and participate, as well as allies in the community including service providers, educators, employers, attorneys, workforce development programs, and all other community members.
FREE FOOD, DRINK, MOVIES, CHILDCARE AND MUCH MORE!
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 19th will feature:
1) Root & Rebound's (R&R) attorneys leading a know-your-rights legal workshop about the impact of a criminal record on people's civil rights--the workshop will be based on our "Roadmap to Reentry" guidebook (www.rootandrebound.org/roadmap), as well as an overview of our "Family & Children Toolkit"--a primer for family members with incarcerated loved ones.
2) A Reentry Legal Clinic: Free 1-on-1 legal appointments with our attorneys for people with questions about their legal rights with a record (questions about housing, employment, children and family, parole/probation, expungement, getting ID, education & more are all welcome!).
THURSDAY, APRIL 20th will feature:
1) A keynote message of inspiration and empowerment from family activist Mia Birdsong.
2) Community panels on topics such as: family unity & rebuilding relationships after incarceration; pursuing education, employment and entrepreneurial opportunities in reentry, important expungement info;
3) Resource Fair with information from Fair Chance employers, family counseling experts, educators, career services specialists, and community-based organizations dedicated to advocating and supporting Bay Area families impacted by incarceration.
Click here to view a Save the Date reminder!
INTERESTED IN PARTNERING WITH US? We are looking for groups, individuals, and companies across the Bay Area to get involved. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN ATTENDING, HOSTING AN INFORMATIONAL TABLE ABOUT YOUR ORGANIZATION, SPEAKING ON A PANEL, SPONSORING THE EVENT or LEADING A WORKSHOP, please fill out and submit this form.
If you have any further questions about our programs, take a look at our Frequently Asked Questions page here. If you don’t find your answers there, do not hesitate to get in touch with us!