May 28, 2020
AmeriCorps VISTA Community Outreach & Partnerships Coordinator
ABOUT ROOT & REBOUND:
Root & Rebound is a national reentry and advocacy organization that addresses racial, economic, and social inequities within the criminal justice system and the reentry process by restoring and protecting rights, dignity, and opportunities for people directly impacted by the criminal justice system. Our mission is to restore power and resources to the families and communities most harmed by mass incarceration through legal advocacy, public education, policy reform and litigation—a model rooted in the needs and expertise of people who are directly impacted. We are headquartered in Oakland, California with satellite offices in Fresno, Los Angeles, San Bernardino and Greenville, South Carolina.
Our model is three-pronged:
- Educate: Root & Rebound democratizes the law so that it serves, and ceases to harm, people directly impacted by mass incarceration. We create legal guides, toolkits, online materials, and self help tools not only for people directly impacted but for the infrastructure of agencies that can better support them.
- Advocate: Root & Rebound advocates for the protection and restoration of rights of people with records and past court-involvement, so that they can access basic needs including employment, housing, and family reunification through the only free Reentry Legal Hotline in the nation, statewide clinics, and court representation.
- Reform: Root & Rebound works to eliminate barriers to reentry, while amplifying the voices of people in reentry, by grounding our policy advocacy work in engaging a feedback loop of information and thought partnership from our clients to policymakers.
The Community Outreach & Partnerships Coordinator will play a major support role to the Legal team in this critical phase of expansion, to building strong sustainable programs, and strategies for growth. This position is ideal for those who wish to pursue careers in community outreach or communications – especially in the nonprofit sector.
Commitment: A 1-year full time commitment starting July 2020 Monday – Friday / 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM from our downtown Oakland office 40 hours per week, with occasional evenings/weekends.
Location: Based in Oakland, CA.
Responsibilities & Duties:
Under the supervision of the Legal Team, the Community Outreach & Partnerships Coordinator responsibilities & duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Conduct outreach for statewide Root & Rebound events,clinics and trainings
- Disseminate county-specific communications about Root & Rebound Services through phone calls, emails, and outreach to social service providers across the state;
- Coordinate and create program-specific communications–mailchimp newsletters, social media posts, etc, and facilitate regular communication about Root & Rebound’s services to the broader community;
- Conduct presentations, table at events, and attend various fairs on behalf of Root & Rebound to introduce our work to organizations interested in volunteering, fundraising or advocating on our behalf (when events are again considered unsafe by CDC and WHO recommendations the Community Outreach & Partnerships Coordinator will attend events virtually);
- Creating recruitment strategies and hiring outreach and processes for volunteers, interns, law clerks, and volunteer attorneys to carry out Root & Rebound’s programs and services;
- Build community partnerships throughout California & South Carolina that are sustainable and far-reaching;
- Increase revenue by responding to callers interested in partnership and describing Root & Rebound Services and opportunities for partnering and paid trainings;
- Support with frontlines support and front desk responsibilities, as needed.
- A.A., B.A. or B.S. preferred.
- Previous office or administrative experience preferred.
- Desire to work with people in reentry and on reentry and criminal justice issues in a dynamic and diverse team environment. Demonstrated commitment to social, racial, and criminal justice.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software; Proficiency with Google products (Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Sheets, Google Drive).
- Responsible and reliable. Positive, professional, and humble attitude. Strong work ethic. Proactive in thinking of and designing creative solutions to advance our mission and work.
- Excellent time-management.
- Excellent communication skills (written & verbal).
- Flexible work style; ability to move from one project to another in a dynamic work environment; ability to re-prioritize and re-shuffle work, given needs and demands of the organization. Ability to incorporate clear direction and supervision. Effectively work on multiple projects.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Creativity, flexibility and adaptability – able to create a structure and process around new tasks or projects that have not been done before.
- Willingness to travel.
This position is paid through AmeriCorps. It is an AmeriCorps VISTA opportunity to spend one year serving full-time to make a difference. For a full list of the benefits of service go to https://www.vistacampus.gov/in-service/benefits-service
For a full list of the benefits of service go to https://www.vistacampus.gov/in-service/benefits-service
How to Apply:
Go to the opportunity listing and complete the AmeriCorps VISTA application process. Candidates will be contacted for interviews on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
Root & Rebound is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from all qualified individuals including formerly incarcerated and/or system-involved individuals, people of color, persons with disabilities, ethnic and religious minorities, women, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and gender variant individuals.
Join our mailing list.