October 18, 2021
Central Valley Economic Security Outreach Coordinator AmeriCorps VISTA
Root & Rebound seeks a Central Valley Economic Security Outreach Coordinator AmeriCorps VISTA Member
We are excited to bring on an AmeriCorps VISTA member to raise awareness of our Fresno Reentry Hub and Central Valley programs to forge new organizational partnerships and deepen our impact
ABOUT ROOT & REBOUND:
Root & Rebound is a national reentry and advocacy organization that addresses racial, economic, and social inequities within the criminal justice system and the reentry process by restoring and protecting rights, dignity, and opportunities for people directly impacted by the criminal justice system. Our mission is to restore power and resources to the families and communities most harmed by mass incarceration through legal advocacy, public education, policy reform and litigation—a model rooted in the needs and expertise of people who are directly impacted. We are headquartered in Oakland, CA with satellite offices in Fresno, CA and Greenville, SC.
Our model is three-pronged:
- Educate: Root & Rebound democratizes the law so that it serves, and ceases to harm, people directly impacted by mass incarceration. We create legal guides, toolkits, online materials, and self help tools not only for people directly impacted but for the infrastructure of agencies that can better support them.
- Advocate: Root & Rebound advocates for the protection and restoration of rights of people with records and past court-involvement, so that they can access basic needs including employment, housing, and family reunification through the only free Reentry Legal Hotline in the nation, statewide clinics, and court representation.
- Reform: Root & Rebound works to eliminate barriers to reentry, while amplifying the voices of people in reentry, by grounding our policy advocacy work in engaging a feedback loop of information and thought partnership from our clients to policymakers.
Our program in the Central Valley, the Fresno Reentry Women’s Employment Initiative (FRWEI), provides holistic wraparound direct services to formerly incarcerated women and TGNC folks, with a focus on people of color, as they overcome barriers to financial wellness and employment.
FRWEI offers coordinated legal, social, and employment reentry support for women of color with records to build self-sufficiency, leadership, and economic health.
The Central Valley Economic Security Outreach Coordinator VISTA will play a critical role in building capacity for FRWEI by supporting efforts to strengthen our financial wellness work and help ensure the economic security of our clients. This position is ideal for someone who is creative, detail-oriented, persistent in the face of roadblocks, and eager to support systems-impacted individuals gain access to reentry support. Those who wish to pursue careers in the legal field, social work, and/or the nonprofit sector would be a great fit for this position.
Commitment: This is a 1-year, full-time commitment starting November 7, 2022; working Monday – Friday from 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM PST; 40 hours per week, with occasional evenings/weekends. This start date is not flexible, in accordance with AmeriCorps VISTA protocols, and will be onboarded with one other AmeriCorps VISTA member.
Location: This position is based out of our Fresno, CA office. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, our staff are currently working in a hybrid environment, with some days in the office, and some days remote.
Responsibilities & Duties:
Under the supervision of FRWEI’s Women’s Support and Social Services Manager, responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Partnership Growth & Community Engagement:
- Build sustainable community partnerships with Employers throughout the region to support financial empowerment and/or employment initiatives for R&R clients;
- Conduct outreach with employers to build an impacted people friendly Employer Database;
- Disseminate region-specific communications about Root & Rebound’s services through phone calls, emails, and outreach to social service providers across the region; and
- Conduct presentations and table at events and at employment fairs on behalf of Root & Rebound to increase awareness of our work to organizations, impacted people, and potential volunteers and funders;
- Leverage Community Partnerships & Volunteers:
- Call partners to liaise and provide warm referrals for clients in need of non-legal support services;
- Support with non-regional hiring processes, including posting positions internally and externally;
- Coordinate the job posting hiring process for volunteers and non-legal clerks; and
- Recruit community volunteers and media outlets in the Central Valley to support outreach, program exposure and fundraising efforts;
- Update our internal Advocate! Drive, with Central Valley resources;
- Develop Opportunities for Clients to Receive Reentry Legal Support
- Conduct outreach and coordinate logistics for regional Root & Rebound events, clinics and trainings to be targeted towards those in the Central Valley;
- Build capacity on Root & Rebound’s Reentry Hotline by providing referrals to the legal team and social services based in the Central Valley
- Desire to work with people in reentry and on reentry and criminal justice issues in a dynamic and diverse team environment;
- Demonstrated commitment to social, racial, and criminal justice;
- Experience working in an office setting
- Proficiency in Google products (Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Sheets, Google Drive);
- Excellent time-management and communication skills (written & verbal);
- Ability to balance and prioritize multiple projects;
- Ability to incorporate clear direction, feedback and supervision;
- Excited to create structures and processes around new tasks or projects that have not been done before;
- Willingness to travel within the region, with COVID protocols;
- Bilingual capabilities; and a
- A.A., B.A. or B.S. degree..
This position is paid through AmeriCorps. It is an AmeriCorps VISTA opportunity to spend one year serving full-time to make a difference. For a full list of the benefits of service go to https://www.vistacampus.gov/in-service/benefits-service
For a full list of the benefits of service go to https://www.vistacampus.gov/in-service/benefits-service
How to Apply:
To apply for this role, please go to the opportunity listing here and complete the AmeriCorps VISTA application. Candidates will be contacted for interviews on a rolling basis until October 1, 2022. No phone calls, please.
Root & Rebound is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from all qualified individuals including formerly incarcerated and/or system-involved individuals, people of color, persons with disabilities, ethnic and religious minorities, women, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and gender variant individuals.
Join our mailing list.