September 13, 2022
Central Valley Policy Fellow
Central Valley Policy Fellow
About Root & Rebound (R&R): R&R’s mission is to restore power and resources to the families and communities most harmed by mass incarceration through legal advocacy, public education, policy reform and litigation— a model rooted in the needs and expertise of people who are directly impacted. You can learn more about our work in our 2021 Annual Report.
Compensation & Employment Status: This is a part-time, non-exempt role, with a salary of $20/hr, with expected hours to be 20-25 hrs per week. Hours not to exceed 35 hours a week. This is a termed position, expected to start as soon as possible, and end on December 16, 2022, with the possibility of extension of term until February 15, 2023.
Location: This position is based out of our Fresno, CA office. However, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, our staff are currently working in a hybrid environment, with some days in the office, and some days remote. Travel throughout the Central Valley will be required.
About the Central Valley Policy Fellow: The Policy Fellow will work with the Central Valley Policy Associate in launching the Valley Impacted Voices in Action (VIVA) Coalition to shift harmful narratives, build power, and bring together formerly incarcerated people, their loved ones, and advocates from rural communities in six (6) Valley Counties: Merced, Madera, Fresno, Tulare, Kern, and Kings.
The Policy Fellow ’s primary focus will be on outreach to impacted communities and organizing coalition meetings.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Policy Fellow role includes, but is not limited to, the following duties and responsibilities:
- Work with the Root & Rebound policy team to launch the VIVA coalition;
- Coordinate logistics related to VIVA coalition meetings, including, but not limited to: email, telephonic, and other outreach; securing physical space for in-person meetings; coordinating zoom links for virtual meetings;
- Assist on grant reporting, including but not limited to, helping to develop a narrative of activities, things accomplished and/or supported by grant funds;
- Build and maintain strong relationships with community partners and system-impacted individuals to create and connect people returning home with strong community support and the VIVA Coalition;
- Counter negative narratives around people who are formerly incarcerated.
- Connect systems-impacted people with advocacy work.
- Attend City Council and Board of Supervisors meetings to raise our voices in support of local policies.
- Create volunteer and leadership opportunities for formerly incarcerated people.
- Direct experience navigating reentry from prison or jail;
- Some experience and/or knowledge of policy advocacy
- Demonstrated dedication to social, racial, and economic justice;
- Strong time-management and organizational skills to be able to juggle coalition planning with individual outreach;
- Ability to take initiative, problem-solve, meet deadlines, work both collaboratively and independently;
- Ability to genuinely connect, empathize, and build trust with system-impacted communities;
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to prioritize work given organizational and client needs;
- Creative, enthusiastic, and willing to learn and try new things;
- Proficiency in Gmail, Google Calendar, Drive, Docs, and Sheets;
- Ability to and excitement to travel regularly to communities throughout Central Valley California; and
- Spanish proficiency.
Application Instructions: Please send your application materials (resume and cover letter) as soon as possible, but no later than Friday, September 23, 2022, to Claudia J. Gonzalez, [email protected]. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
Root & Rebound is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from all qualified individuals including formerly incarcerated and/or system-involved individuals, people of color, persons with disabilities, ethnic and religious minorities, women, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and gender variant individuals.
Join our mailing list.