October 18, 2021
Development & Communications Coordinator AmeriCorps VISTA
Root & Rebound seeks a Development & Communications Coordinator AmeriCorps VISTA Member
We are excited to bring on an AmeriCorps VISTA member to expand and diversify our communications, marketing, and development efforts!
ABOUT ROOT & REBOUND: Root & Rebound is a national reentry and advocacy organization that addresses racial, economic, and social inequities within the criminal justice system and the reentry process by restoring and protecting rights, dignity, and opportunities for people directly impacted by the criminal justice system. Our mission is to restore power and resources to the families and communities most harmed by mass incarceration through legal advocacy, public education, policy reform, and litigation—a model rooted in the needs and expertise of people who are directly impacted. We are headquartered in Oakland, California with satellite offices in Fresno, Los Angeles, San Bernardino, and Greenville, South Carolina.
Our model is three-pronged:
- Educate: Root & Rebound democratizes the law so that it serves, and ceases to harm, people directly impacted by mass incarceration. We create legal guides, toolkits, online materials, and self-help tools not only for people directly impacted but for the infrastructure of agencies that can better support them.
- Advocate: Root & Rebound advocates for the protection and restoration of rights of people with records and past court involvement, so that they can access basic needs including employment, housing, and family reunification through the only free Reentry Legal Hotline in the nation, statewide clinics, and court representation.
- Reform: Root & Rebound works to eliminate barriers to reentry, while amplifying the voices of people in reentry, by grounding our policy advocacy work in engaging a feedback loop of information and thought partnership from our clients to policymakers.
The Development & Communications Coordinator VISTA will play a major support role with the financial growth, communications, and marketing strategy of the organization, primarily supporting our California region. They will support development and fundraising efforts by building systems and processes for donor outreach, social media, email marketing campaigns, and event planning and coordination. This position is ideal for someone who is creative, detail-oriented, persistent in the face of roadblocks, and eager to support systems-impacted individuals gain access to reentry support. Those who wish to pursue careers in the legal field and/or the nonprofit sector would be a great fit for this position.
Commitment: This is a 1-year, full-time commitment starting January 18, 2022; working Monday – Friday from 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM PST; 40 hours per week, with occasional evenings/weekends. This start date is not flexible, in accordance with AmeriCorps VISTA protocols, and will be onboarded in a cohort model with four other AmeriCorps VISTA members
Location: This position is based out of Oakland, Ca headquarters. However, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, our staff are currently working remotely until January 3, 2022, at which point we will work in a hybrid environment. This position will be onboarded remotely, with opportunities to meet in-person with team members once it is safe to do so.
Responsibilities & Duties:
Under the supervision of the Manager of Donor Relations and Executive Affairs, responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Identify and execute unique ways to engage community members and donors to increase individual giving, donor retention, and giving levels;
- Assist with organization’s marketing and communications strategy;
- Support with volunteer outreach for programs and development-related initiatives;
- Develop an annual social media calendar that schedules, tracks, and posts relevant and inspiring social media content to drive fundraising;
- Support individual giving, which entails special events and campaigns such as the annual end-of-year campaign, video and social media fundraising campaigns, and other fundraising events;
- Support corporate giving, which entails researching corporations and contacts, supporting outreach, relationship building, and database management;
- Create systems to actively manage, segment, and steward volunteers and donors interested in engaging with Root & Rebound programs and events; and
- Develop partnerships with 3-5 organizations to support their effectiveness and program reach, with the goal of building their fundraising capacity
- Desire to work with people in reentry and on reentry and criminal justice issues in a dynamic and diverse team environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to social, racial, and criminal justice.
- Proficiency in Google products (Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Sheets, Google Drive).
- Curiosity and a genuine interest to learn and utilize new software products such as Asana, Hootsuite, and our internal CRM (Customer Relationship Management system)
- Comfort and excitement speaking with unknown organizations and clients.
- Strong organizational skills when researching and gathering information for clear, consistent, effective, and efficient relationship building.
- Excellent time-management and communication skills (written & verbal).
- Ability to balance and prioritize multiple projects in a dynamic – and hybrid – environment.
- Ability to incorporate clear direction, feedback, and supervision. Excited to create structures and processes around new tasks or projects that have not been done before.
- Willingness to travel within the region, once safe and with COVID protocols
- A.A., B.A., or B.S. preferred.
This position is paid through AmeriCorps. It is an AmeriCorps VISTA opportunity to spend one year serving full-time to make a difference. For a full list of the benefits of service go to https://www.vistacampus.gov/in-service/benefits-service
For a full list of the benefits of service go to https://www.vistacampus.gov/in-service/benefits-service
How to Apply:
To apply for this role, please go to the opportunity listing here and complete the AmeriCorps VISTA application. Candidates will be contacted for interviews on a rolling basis until December 1, 2021. No phone calls please.
Root & Rebound is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from all qualified individuals including formerly incarcerated and/or system-involved individuals, people of color, persons with disabilities, ethnic and religious minorities, women, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and gender variant individuals.
Join our mailing list.