March 23, 2022
Frontline Operations & Client Support Fellow
Frontline Operations & Client Support Fellow
Root & Rebound is excited to bring on our first cohort of systems-impacted individuals
to support the administration, operations and client support needs of our growing team
Who We Are
Root & Rebound (R&R) is a national 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, with offices in California and South Carolina. Our mission is to restore power and resources to the families and communities most harmed by mass incarceration through legal advocacy, public education, policy reform and litigation—a model rooted in the needs and expertise of people who are directly impacted. R&R has a holistic approach to dismantle the two-tiered system of injustice in this country, working in rural and urban communities, and across all areas of life, including housing, employment and occupational licensing, family reunification, parole and probation advocacy, court debt, record expungement, and more. Learn more at www.rootandrebound.org.
About the Role of the Fellow
The Frontline Fellowship Program was conceived out of a need to support a growing number of Root & Rebound clients and our commitment to provide employment opportunities for systems-impacted individuals, which includes formerly incarcerated individuals and their family members. We believe that our work is upheld by our clients and individuals with lived experiences within the U.S. carceral system. Lived experience with the passion of giving back to the community with an opportunity to earn an above minimum wage. The Frontline Fellow is the first point of contact for people looking for legal assistance and resources from Root & Rebound.
The Frontline Operations & Client Support Fellow is responsible for providing backbone support to our clients through our Reentry Legal Hotline and prison mail. This individual will play a critical role to ensure clients’ needs are met through resource collection, mail correspondence and calls that come in through our hotline.
2 Fellows – Fresno, Ca (work both remote and some in-office)
1 Fellow – Bay Area, Ca (remote and in-office)
The position is a non-exempt role that can span between 6-12 months, working between 20-40 hours/week. This is a position we have built in this time of growth and transition that will give the fellow skills for work elsewhere and possibly the option of staying on with Root & Rebound. The starting pay for this position is $20.00/hour and includes health benefits. The target start date for this position is May 2, 2022.
Duties and responsibilities for this role include but are not limited to the following:
- Answering the phone
- Serve as a communication between frontline staff and attorneys
- Knowledge of basic computer skills, and fundamental use of Google (docs, gchat, gmail)
- Supporting our legal team
- Mail out resources requested from callers
- Receiving and separating incoming office mail
- Entering data and notes into the systems Root & Rebound uses such as clio and wufoo
- Support Legal team with upcoming events and clinics as needed
You are the ideal candidate if you:
- Are formerly incarcerated or systems-impacted
- Have a desire to work directly with people in reentry and on criminal justice/reentry issues
- Are motivated to learn new technology and computer software
- Have a passion to help others
- Have literacy in English and reading comprehension skills (Spanish fluency is a bonus)
- Are a creative problem-solver
- Are a clear communicator, both written and verbal
- Can build relationships with clients based on empathy, understanding and a commitment to supporting their wellbeing
- Have stable housing and internet access
- Are not intimidated by learning and working independently in a remote environment
- Live in California or South Carolina
- Are eager to learn new skills in an administrative, operational and client-facing capacity
Employment benefits at R&R include:
- Medical, vision and dental care at 30 hrs/wk.
- Employer-sponsored 403(b) retirement plan (no match contributions currently)
- Internal and external professional development opportunities
- Three (3) weeks of paid time off per year, plus holiday closures, which typically includes 2 weeks around the December holidays and 3-day office “pauses” throughout the year
- Office closures for seven (7) federal holidays, in addition to Juneteenth and Indigenous Peoples’ Day
- Four (4) hours of Activism Time each month for employees to engage in social justice activities of their choosing
- Sabbatical Program for eligible employees after five (5) years of service
To apply to be a Fellow, send 1) resume, 2) 3 references with contact information, 3) a letter 500 words or less why you would be perfect for this fellowship position.
- Fresno potential Fellows send information to Judy, [email protected]
- Bay Area potential Fellows send information to Daniel, [email protected]
Subject line: “Frontline Operations & Client Support Fellow Position”. Applications will be reviewed in order received. Resumes with references and letters of interest will be given priority in order received. No phone calls, please.
Root & Rebound is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from all qualified individuals including formerly incarcerated and/or system-involved individuals, people of color, persons with disabilities, ethnic and religious minorities, women, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and gender variant individuals. People with past involvement in the justice system are seen as an asset to our organization and are strongly encouraged to apply.