May 18, 2020
Graphic Design Volunteer
Root & Rebound seeks a Graphic Design Volunteer to design a first-of-its-kind reentry resource for people harmed by the War on Drugs
About Root & Rebound
Root & Rebound’s mission is to restore power and resources to the families and communities most harmed by mass incarceration through legal advocacy, public education, policy reform and litigation—a model rooted in the needs and expertise of people who are directly impacted. We are headquartered in Oakland, California with satellite offices in Fresno, Los Angeles, San Bernardino and Greenville, South Carolina.
Root & Rebound relies heavily on volunteers to support our efforts in all aspects of our work. With the help of dedicated volunteers, our educational resources like the California Employers’ Fair Chance Hiring Guide and the National Fair Chance Housing Toolkit have supported thousands of people as they work to navigate the collateral consequences of an arrest or conviction history.
About the Project: A ‘How-To Guide’ for Successful Reentry After A Cannabis Conviction
Root & Rebound seeks a passionate graphic designer to help fight against the War on Drugs. Specifically, we are in need of design support for a toolkit publication within one of our legal education initiatives.
Root & Rebound seeks to repair the harms of hyper incarceration, and we pride ourselves on being a responsive mobile legal team who shifts our priorities based on community need. While the state of California has made a commitment to restoring the rights of individuals with cannabis convictions, community lawyering and public education are needed to realize these rights through projects, such as this toolkit.
Therefore, one of Root and Rebound’s timely priorities is to protect and restore the rights of survivors of the War on Drugs. In efforts to be responsive to the current community need for accurate legal information for survivors of the War on Drugs, Root & Rebound, in partnership with a social equity-driven cannabis brand, will produce a first-of-its-kind “Know Your Rights” Toolkit designed specifically for people with cannabis-related convictions.
About the Volunteer Role
Root & Rebound seeks a talented and creative graphic designer to provide artistic support for our newest “Know Your Rights” Toolkit. We are looking for a mission-aligned, independent and innovative leader who has a passion for communicating ideas that inspire, inform and captivate and is excited to combine their artistic talents with their drive to fight against the War on Drugs.
Specifically, we are looking for a volunteer who can:
- Design complementary graphics and design layout of narrative content for a legal resource guide of approximately 50 pages;
- Digest information and provide creative suggestions on how to illustrate the information;
- Provide art that is reflective of a diverse society;
- Collaborate and brainstorm with R&R’s Associate Director of Legal Education and additional project leads;
- Work alongside, and in support of, impacted people without judgement.
- Graphic Design experience required
- Demonstrated ability to create various designs from scratch (samples needed)
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop or similar software
- Interest in, and commitment to, repairing the harms of the War on Drugs
- People impacted by the criminal justice system, particularly those with marijuana-related convictions, are encouraged to apply
- Lead graphic design of the toolkit
- Communicate and brainstorm ideas with project leads
- Volunteer hours commitment expected: 5 to 8 hours per week
- Volunteer consistently for an estimated 4-week to 8-week period (20-40 hours total)
To apply, please submit a resume that demonstrates your qualifications for this position by May 29th . We encourage applicants to also include relevant samples of their previous work and any other materials demonstrating skills related to this position.
Please send all application materials via email to the attention of Eliana Green at [email protected] with the subject line “[Your first and last name]: Root & Rebound Graphic Design Volunteer Position
Root & Rebound is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, citizenship status, or current employment status. Root & Rebound values diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background and justice system involvement. People with criminal justice records are encouraged to apply. We depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.
For more information about Root & Rebound, visit our website at www.rootandrebound.org
Join our mailing list.