October 18, 2021
Northern California Outreach & Partnerships Coordinator AmeriCorps VISTA
Root & Rebound seeks a Northern California Outreach & Partnerships Coordinator AmeriCorps VISTA Member
We are excited to bring on an AmeriCorps VISTA member to increase our capacity to provide deep support and referrals to our vast caseload of direct legal service clients located in Northern California
ABOUT ROOT & REBOUND: Root & Rebound is a national reentry and advocacy organization that addresses racial, economic, and social inequities within the criminal justice system and the reentry process by restoring and protecting rights, dignity, and opportunities for people directly impacted by the criminal justice system. Our mission is to restore power and resources to the families and communities most harmed by mass incarceration through legal advocacy, public education, policy reform, and litigation—a model rooted in the needs and expertise of people who are directly impacted. We are headquartered in Oakland, California with satellite offices in Fresno, Los Angeles, San Bernardino, and Greenville, South Carolina.
Our model is three-pronged:
- Educate: Root & Rebound democratizes the law so that it serves, and ceases to harm, people directly impacted by mass incarceration. We create legal guides, toolkits, online materials, and self-help tools not only for people directly impacted but for the infrastructure of agencies that can better support them.
- Advocate: Root & Rebound advocates for the protection and restoration of rights of people with records and past court involvement, so that they can access basic needs including employment, housing, and family reunification through the only free Reentry Legal Hotline in the nation, statewide clinics, and court representation.
- Reform: Root & Rebound works to eliminate barriers to reentry, while amplifying the voices of people in reentry, by grounding our policy advocacy work in engaging a feedback loop of information and thought partnership from our clients to policymakers.
The Northern California Outreach & Partnerships Coordinator VISTA will play a major support role to the Programs and Legal Team in this critical phase of expansion, including building strong sustainable programs and strategies for regional, localized growth. This position is ideal for someone who is creative, detail-oriented, persistent in the face of roadblocks, and eager to support systems-impacted individuals gain access to reentry support. Those who wish to pursue careers in the legal field and/or the nonprofit sector would be a great fit for this position.
Commitment: This is a 1-year, full-time commitment starting January 18, 2022; working Monday – Friday from 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM PST; 40 hours per week, with occasional evenings/weekends. This start date is not flexible, in accordance with AmeriCorps VISTA protocols, and will be onboarded in a cohort model with four other AmeriCorps VISTA members
Location: This position is based out of Oakland, Ca headquarters. However, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, our staff are currently working remotely until January 3, 2022, at which point we will work in a hybrid environment. This position will be onboarded remotely, with opportunities to meet in-person with team members once it is safe to do so.
Responsibilities & Duties:
Under the supervision of the Northern California Regional Director of Advocacy and Manager of Pro Bono Partnerships, responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Grow Partnerships within the Region:
- Conduct outreach for regional Root & Rebound events, clinics, and trainings;
- Disseminate county-specific communications about Root & Rebound’s services through phone calls, emails, and outreach to social service providers across the region;
- Support with the implementation of presentations and table at events and fairs on behalf of Root & Rebound to introduce our work to organizations, impacted people, and potential volunteers and funders;
- Build community partnerships throughout the region that are sustainable and far-reaching; and
- Create a database of partner organizations with whom R&R can cross-refer clients and co-lead programs and events.
- Leverage Community Partnerships & Volunteers to Support Clients within the Region:
- Call partners to liaise and provide warm referrals for clients in need of non-legal support services;
- Assist clients with social support resources and referrals by developing vetted resource referral lists for incarcerated callers to support their reentry plans and set them up for success;
- Connect clients to upcoming appointments/clinics and relevant social services;
- Conduct periodic check-ins with clients who have been unresponsive;
- Recruit community volunteers to support with outreach, clinics, events and/or social service referrals; and
- Create a recruitment and hiring strategy for volunteers and interns to partner with Root & Rebound throughout the year.
- Reentry Support
- Build capacity on Root & Rebound’s Reentry Hotline by providing referrals to the legal team and social service providers
- Monitor, respond to and provide resources to requests from prospective clients and community members via email
- Support client record cleaning processes by coordinating declaration gathering and other related tasks
- Desire to work with people in reentry and on reentry and criminal justice issues in a dynamic and diverse team environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to social, racial, and criminal justice.
- Proficiency in Google products (Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Sheets, Google Drive).
- Comfort and excitement speaking with unknown organizations and clients.
- Strong organizational skills when researching and gathering referral information for clear, consistent, effective, and efficient referrals.
- Excellent time-management and communication skills (written & verbal).
- Ability to balance and prioritize multiple projects in a dynamic – and hybrid – environment.
- Ability to incorporate clear direction, feedback, and supervision. Excited to create structures and processes around new tasks or projects that have not been done before.
- Willingness to travel within the region, once safe and with COVID protocols
- A.A., B.A., or B.S. preferred.
This position is paid through AmeriCorps. It is an AmeriCorps VISTA opportunity to spend one year serving full-time to make a difference. For a full list of the benefits of service go to https://www.vistacampus.gov/in-service/benefits-service
For a full list of the benefits of service go to https://www.vistacampus.gov/in-service/benefits-service
How to Apply:
To apply for this role, please go to the opportunity listing here and complete the AmeriCorps VISTA application. Candidates will be contacted for interviews on a rolling basis until December 1, 2021. No phone calls, please.
Root & Rebound is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from all qualified individuals including formerly incarcerated and/or system-involved individuals, people of color, persons with disabilities, ethnic and religious minorities, women, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and gender variant individuals.
Join our mailing list.