July 10, 2023
Shartsis Friese LLP Public Interest Fellowship
Root & Rebound Seeks Record Cleaning Legal Fellow
Shartsis Friese LLP Public Interest Fellowship
Focused on removing records as a strategy for removing reentry barriers
About Root & Rebound:
Root & Rebound (R&R) is a national reentry advocacy nonprofit, whose mission is to help people navigate reentry and reduce the harms perpetuated by mass incarceration. Root & Rebound provides holistic reentry legal services across all of California, with offices in Fresno and Oakland, and staff in Los Angeles as well. We provide legal know-your-rights information, and individual services on a wide variety of collateral consequences of a conviction including getting ID and voting, conditions of parole and probation, employment and housing rights as they relate to an arrest or conviction history.
Root & Rebound operates a reentry hotline almost every Friday of the year and is R&R’s largest intake valve, serving well over one thousand justice-impacted people each year and speaking to hundreds of people each week in all stages of their reentry journeys. Approximately one out of every four R&R clients is seeking some sort of record cleaning services.
Commitment: One-year, full-time position, starting October 2023 and reporting to the Record Cleaning Staff Attorney.
Location: R&R’s home office is based in Oakland, CA; hybrid office-remote work environment until further notice.
About the Record Cleaning Fellow Position:
R&R seeks a recent law school graduate to provide reentry legal support, primarily to those who seek record cleaning assistance in the Bay Area. Record cleaning can have huge impacts on the collateral consequences of a conviction, from housing to employment and occupational licensing and more.
Responsibilities & Duties: The fellow’s responsibilities & duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
Direct Legal Services:
- Staff our intake-hotline and legal clinics with an emphasis on record cleaning cases.
- Provide Know-Your-Rights trainings and develop factsheets on topics such as record cleaning.
- Provide analysis of conviction histories for record cleaning eligibility, and advise clients on the impacts of record cleaning for their personal goals.
- Serve Bay Area clients on their record cleaning petitions, including evidence of rehabilitation, and legal briefing as needed.
- Provide court representation for other record cleaning cases as needed, based on factors including: staff capacity, budget, legal complications, and client and conviction factors (including 1203.41 & 1203.4b petitions).
- As available, carry a small caseload of non-record cleaning cases.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate has the following qualifications:
- Recent graduation from an accredited law school;
- A demonstrated commitment to social, racial, and criminal justice;
- Eligibility or pending eligibility to practice law in the State of California, either by being a member of the California Bar or through California’s Multijurisdictional Practice (MJP) Program or Supervised Provisional Licensure Program.
- System involvement, or an understanding of or willingness to learn from those with system involvement.
- Ability to communicate clearly, proactively, and consistently to a broad range of audiences, verbally and in writing.
- Willingness to travel across the Bay Area and Northern California, including to rural communities.
- Proficiency in Spanish;
- Formerly incarcerated and/or system-involved individuals strongly encouraged to apply;
- Experience working with system-impacted individuals.
Compensation & Benefits: This role is a full-time, exempt position. Compensation is $70,000 (annualized). Employees who are fluent in Spanish receive an additional $2,000/year.
Employment benefits at R&R include:
- Medical, vision and dental care
- Employer-sponsored 403(b) retirement plan
- Internal and external professional development opportunities
- Three (3) weeks of paid time off per year, plus office closure around the December holidays and paid holidays.
- Sabbatical Program for eligible employees after five (5) years of service.
Conflict of Interest Notice: R&R encourages current and former clients to apply to join our team. However, it is a conflict of interest for R&R to provide legal services to our own employees. We will do our best to ensure that any current clients who are hired by R&R have other legal representation prior to beginning employment.
To apply for this position, please upload a resume, cover letter, one short writing sample (max. 10 pages), and at least three references (explaining your professional relationship and including their contact information) to the Root & Rebound website, RootAndRebound.org. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Root & Rebound is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including formerly incarcerated and/or system-involved individuals. We look at each applicant’s full experience and consider each applicant. We encourage people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. Individuals with lived experience of the criminal justice system and its impacts are strongly encouraged to apply. We depend on a diverse team to accomplish our mission!
Join our mailing list.