November 4, 2021
Remote Law Clerks to support our work in California
Root & Rebound seeks remote (possibility of hybrid) Law Clerks to support our work in California
ABOUT ROOT & REBOUND: R&R is a national reentry advocacy organization that provides know-your-rights education, direct legal services, policy reform and impact litigation to support formerly incarcerated people and people with convictions to navigate barriers to employment, housing, family reunification, obtaining ID, voting rights, financial stability, and more due to their record. Our mission is to restore power and resources to the families and communities most harmed by mass incarceration through legal advocacy, public education, policy reform and litigation — a model rooted in the needs and expertise of people who are directly impacted.
LAW CLERK OPPORTUNITY: As a law clerk at R&R, students have the unique opportunity to work holistically on the issues of “reentry law”—directly supporting individuals who are navigating the 48,000 documented legal barriers related to their criminal record.
Unlike most legal externships, law students clerking at R&R learn about many areas of law– employment, civil rights, parole and probation, family, housing, immigration, and many other substantive areas of legal practice as they impact justice-involved people.
Currently all of our positions are remote.
Please indicate in the cover letter which of the programs you are applying for:
1. DIRECT CLIENT SERVICES: R&R’s headquarters office in Oakland, California
R&R runs a weekly Reentry Legal Hotline every Friday for anyone with questions about reentry and the impact of a criminal record on their life and legal rights. Through our state-wide legal services, we support thousands of people each year. Client services clerks in the Oakland office:
- Answer Reentry Legal Hotline calls and speak with currently and formerly incarcerated callers, about their reentry-related questions and issues every Friday from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.;
- Complete holistic legal intakes with clients at legal clinics;
- Provide ongoing legal services to hotline, clinic, and other clients;
- Create and update Know-Your-Rights factsheets on recurring legal issues;
- Perform case-specific legal research and writing;
- Review legal documents and draft advocacy letters, court filings, and other materials.
2. IMPACT LITIGATION
R&R pursues impact litigation to address systemic problems, e.g. equal protection in employment and housing, privacy of criminal court records, and reentry barriers in occupational licensing. Law clerks may be asked to draft a research memo or assist with factual investigation in one or more of these cutting edge cases. Familiarity with statistics is preferred.
- Currently in second or third year of law school or recent law school graduate. If you are a 1L looking for a volunteer opportunity, please reach out and learn about our incarcerated caller hotline opportunity.
- Desire to work with people with arrest and conviction histories, and on criminal justice issues in a dynamic legal environment.
- Demonstrated interest in racial justice and improving the lives of disenfranchised people and communities.
- Ability to comfortably and appropriately communicate with a diverse group of stakeholders including currently and formerly incarcerated people and their loved ones, staff, community partners, board members, and others.
Application Instructions: To apply for a position, please send the following materials to Eva DeLair at [email protected] —
- Cover letter (please indicate for which project(s) you are interested in);
- Short sample of legal writing (4 pages max.); and
- At least 2 references with contact information and a description of how they know you.
No fax or mail applications and no phone calls, please.
Decisions will be made on a rolling basis.
|Season||Recommended application deadline||Commitment|
|Spring Semester||Dec. 5 (rolling basis until roles filled)||8 + hours per week|
|Summer (rising 3L’s only)||Feb. 1 (rolling basis until roles filled)||35-40 hours per week for 10 weeks|
|Fall Semester||Aug. 1 (rolling basis until roles filled)||8 + hours per week|
Root & Rebound is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, people of color, people with conviction histories, persons with disabilities, ethnic and religious minorities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and gender non-conforming individuals.
Join our mailing list.