November 4, 2021
Remote Law Clerks to support our work in California
Root & Rebound seeks remote (possibility of hybrid) Law Clerks to support our work in California.
ABOUT ROOT & REBOUND: R&R is a national reentry advocacy organization that provides know-your-rights education, direct legal services, policy reform, and impact litigation to support formerly incarcerated people and people with convictions to navigate barriers to employment, housing, family reunification, obtaining ID, voting rights, financial stability, and more due to their record. Our mission is to restore power and resources to the families and communities most harmed by mass incarceration through legal advocacy, public education, policy reform, and litigation — a model rooted in the needs and expertise of people who are directly impacted.
LAW CLERK OPPORTUNITY: As a law clerk at R&R, students have the unique opportunity to work holistically on the issues of “reentry law”—directly supporting individuals who are navigating the 48,000 documented legal barriers related to their criminal record. Unlike most legal externships, law students clerking at R&R learn about many areas of law– employment, civil rights, parole and probation, family, housing, immigration, and many other substantive areas of legal practice as they impact justice-involved people.
Currently, all of our positions are remote.
Please indicate in the cover letter which of the programs you are applying for:
DIRECT CLIENT SERVICES:
1. R&R’s headquarters office in Oakland, California R&R runs a weekly Reentry Legal Hotline every Friday for anyone with questions about reentry and the impact of a criminal record on their life and legal rights. Through our statewide legal services, we support thousands of people each year. Client services clerks in the Oakland office:
- Answer Reentry Legal Hotline calls and speak with currently and formerly incarcerated callers, about their reentry-related questions and issues every Friday from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.;
- Complete holistic legal intakes with clients at legal clinics;
- Provide ongoing legal services to the hotline, clinic, and other clients;
- Create and update Know-Your-Rights factsheets on recurring legal issues;
- Perform case-specific legal research and writing;
- Review legal documents and draft advocacy letters, court filings, and other materials.
DIRECT CLIENT SERVICES:
2. R&R’s Los Angeles, California office is based at the Anti-Recidivism Coalition (ARC), a community-based organization in Downtown LA, and provides legal services and workshops for justice system-impacted people as well as educational workshops across LA. Direct client services clerks in the LA office:
- Work closely with a small number of clients
- Work with ARC members who have suffered the Division of Juvenile Justice system or have come home after long sentences in California state prisons
- Close collaboration with ARC staff to contribute to the holistic success of clients
- Intakes and follow-up from community clinics (which will likely be virtual clinics)
3. To support systemic change and policy reform across California and nationally, R&R’s Oakland office seeks law clerks and policy interns to provide significant support to our ongoing policy campaigns. R&R advocates for broader systems reform by documenting the experiences that clients and partners articulate to us about the legal and practical barriers they encounter, and by communicating these issues to policy groups, elected officials, other stakeholders. We have key priorities for policy across all of the areas we work, including fair chance employment, licensing and housing, access to education, family rights, state reentry policy, and more for 2020-2021.
- Currently in the second or third year of law school or recent law school graduate. If you are a 1L looking for a volunteer opportunity, please reach out and learn about our incarcerated caller hotline opportunity.
- Desire to work with people with arrest and conviction histories, and on criminal justice issues in a dynamic legal environment.
- Demonstrated interest in racial justice and improving the lives of disenfranchised people and communities.
- Ability to comfortably and appropriately communicate with a diverse group of stakeholders including currently and formerly incarcerated people and their loved ones, staff, community partners, board members, and others.
Application Instructions: To apply for a position, please send the following materials to Eva DeLair at [email protected]:
- Cover letter (please indicate for which project(s) you are interested in);
- Short sample of legal writing (4 pages max.); and
- At least 2 references with contact information and a description of how they know you.
No fax or mail applications and no phone calls, please.
Decisions will be made on a rolling basis.
|Season||Recommended application deadline||Commitment|
|Spring Semester||Dec. 5 (though we take applications on a rolling basis)||8 + hours per week for the majority of the semester|
|Summer (rising 3L’s only)||Feb. 1 (though we take applications on a rolling basis)||35-40 hours per week for 10 weeks (specific dates TBD)|
|Fall Semester||Aug. 1 (though we take applications on a rolling basis)||8 + hours per week for the majority of the semester|
Root & Rebound is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, people of color, people with conviction histories, persons with disabilities, ethnic and religious minorities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and gender non-conforming individuals.
Join our mailing list.