November 13, 2020
ROOT & REBOUND SEEKS TEMPORARY PUBLIC INTEREST ATTORNEY IN SAN BERNARDINO/RIVERSIDE REGION
Root & Rebound (R&R) seeks a temporary Reentry Attorney/Legal Fellow to provide direct services to system-impacted individuals residing in and around San Bernardino and Riverside counties. This is a great opportunity for an advocate interested in the unique area of reentry law to gain experience under the guidance of a seasoned attorney or for someone experienced to run an independent caseload.
This is a termed position, to start immediately and expected to last through September 2021, with the possibility of extension. A full-time attorney is preferred, but applicants who are interested in a part-time opportunity or are not yet barred, should still apply and will be considered. Familiarity with California family law is preferred, but not required.
About Root & Rebound:
R&R is a national reentry and advocacy organization that addresses racial, economic, and social inequities within the criminal justice system and the reentry process by restoring and protecting rights, dignity, and opportunities for people directly impacted by the criminal justice system. Our mission is to transfer power and information from the policy and legal communities to the people most impacted by our criminal justice system through public education, direct legal services, and policy advocacy, so that the law serves, rather than harms, low income communities and communities of color in the U.S. Our model is three-pronged:
- Advocate: R&R advocates for the protection and restoration of rights of people with records and past court-involvement, so that they can access basic needs including employment, housing, and family reunification through the only free Reentry Legal Hotline in the nation, statewide clinics, and court representation. Attorneys practice throughout the state of California and in South Carolina.
- Educate: R&R understands that the law as it stands is not accessible to those that need it the most, and strives to provide education so that the law serves, and ceases to harm, people directly impacted by mass incarceration. We create legal guides, toolkits, online materials, and self help tools not only for people directly impacted but for the infrastructure of agencies that can better support them.
- Reform: R&R works to eliminate barriers to reentry, while amplifying the voices of people in reentry. Our policy advocacy work is grounded in the feedback we receive from and thought partnership with our clients and community partners.
REENTRY LAW TEMPORARY ATTORNEY, SAN BERNARDINO/RIVERSIDE
Position Description: The attorney/legal fellow will serve clients in the San Bernardino area by providing wraparound, holistic legal services, primarily in the areas of family law, employment, and record cleaning, to individuals who have been system-impacted. In addition to providing direct services, the temporary attorney/fellow will be representing R&R in the San Bernardino community, leading virtual (or in-person, when it is safe to resume so) clinics and trainings to help share R&R’s resources and positively impact this under-resourced area of California.
In particular, this attorney will provide wrap-around, holistic reentry legal services to women that receive housing and/or social services from the Time For Change Foundation (https://www.timeforchangefoundation.org/) as well as work with other partners in the community.
Dates & Commitment: R&R is ideally looking for an attorney for a full-time, termed position to end approximately September 2021 (10 months). We will also consider part-time applicants and those who are not yet barred. Due to the Coronavirus pandemic, most of the work will be done remotely, but travel to and within the San Bernardino and Riverside area is expected when it can be safely accomplished and is necessary for client needs (i.e. required in-person court hearings).
Duties & Responsibilities: The attorney/fellow will need to respond creatively to unique reentry legal issues, by engaging in different levels of advocacy. Specific duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting intakes with clients and determining the appropriate level of support, including taking on cases for representation, providing resources, or assisting already appointed counsel as needed.
- Supporting existing clients with their ongoing legal needs, with a strong focus on in-depth legal support related to navigating family law issues, including dependency hearings and guardianship matters.
- Coordinating and presenting “Know Your Rights” trainings to TFCF clients and staff, with the opportunity to present trainings to the larger San Bernardino community.
- Representing R&R at San Bernardino community events and public forums, and serve as an ambassador for reentry advocacy issues more broadly.
- Spearheading virtual (or in-person) clinics to support system-impacted individuals in the San Bernardino and Riverside communities.
- Supporting P.R., Development, Communications, and Storytelling projects as needed.
- Tracking data and program outcomes.
- Responding professionally and promptly to dynamic and ever-shifting programmatic demands in a startup environment, working collaboratively with our small but mighty team of reentry attorneys.
The successful candidate should possess the following qualifications:
- Juris Doctorate;
- Quick, creative thinking to develop advocacy that responds to unique legal needs;
- Excellent research and writing skills;
- Ability to synthesize complex legal information and distill into lay terms;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Outstanding organizational skills;
- Independent, self-motivated, self-starter;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, comfortable asking questions;
- Strong work ethic, reliable, positive attitude, and good sense of humor;
- Experience in family law and civil practice is preferred, but not required.
Compensation commensurate with experience, and time commitment. While this is a non-benefited position, full-time attorneys will accrue vacation time and sick days pursuant to existing R&R policies. Starting annual salaries for full-time attorneys licensed to practice in California begin at $60,000. Starting annual salaries for full-time fellows coming straight from law school begin at $58,000.
To apply for this position, please send a resume, cover letter, short sample of legal writing (10 pages max.), and at least two references with contact information in an email to Veena Gursahani, Senior Staff Attorney, at [email protected]. Resumes without a cover letter, writing sample, and/or references will not be reviewed. No fax or mail applications, and no phone calls, please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Root & Rebound is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, people of color, people with conviction histories, persons with disabilities, ethnic and religious minorities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and gender variant individuals.
Join our mailing list.