June 22, 2022
Root & Rebound Seeks South Carolina Staff Attorney
Greenville, South Carolina
About Root & Rebound:
Root & Rebound (R&R) is a national reentry and advocacy organization that addresses racial, economic, and social inequities within the criminal justice system. R&R’s mission is to restore power and resources to the families and communities most harmed by mass incarceration through legal advocacy, public education, policy reform and litigation—a model rooted in the needs and expertise of people who are directly impacted.
R&R’s model is three-pronged:
- Educate: R&R democratizes the law so that it serves, and ceases to harm, people directly impacted by mass incarceration. We create legal guides, toolkits, online materials, and self-help resources not only for people directly impacted but for the infrastructure of agencies that can better support them.
- Advocate: R&R advocates for the protection and restoration of rights of people with records and past system-involvement, so that they can access basic needs including but not limited to employment, housing, and family reunification through the only free Reentry Legal Hotline in the nation, legal clinics across South Carolina and California, and direct client representation.
- Reform: R&R works to eliminate barriers to reentry, while amplifying the voices of people in reentry, by grounding our policy advocacy work by engaging a feedback loop of information and thought partnership from our clients to policymakers.
Commitment: Full-time position, starting as soon as possible.
Location: Based in Greenville, South Carolina, with regular statewide travel as required for client matters and legal clinics.
About the Staff Attorney Position:
R&R seeks a dedicated Staff Attorney to join R&R’s South Carolina legal team and provide legal services to system-impacted clients. The Staff Attorney will broaden client services, grow partnerships, and increase R&R’s impact across the state. As part of an expanding team working to increase the community’s access to justice across the state, this attorney will be a zealous advocate for South Carolinians impacted by the criminal legal system. This is an exciting opportunity to join a creative team with a grassroots mindset. In this manner, the Staff Attorney will have the opportunity to shape strategy and practice in the years to come within R&R and the State of South Carolina. R&R strives to work with clients holistically, and the Staff Attorney will creatively engage with clients to reach their goals.
The Staff Attorney will work closely with a motivated team in an office culture that values professional growth, management support, collaboration, inclusion, accountability, and autonomy. The Staff Attorney will support R&R clients statewide across key legal areas including but not limited to family law, record cleaning, employment law, housing matters, incarceration issues, and parole representation. This lawyer will take on individual representation in matters where the community we serve lacks legal assistance.
This position is ideal for an attorney who is passionate about criminal legal system reform and directly representing clients, and looking to expand their knowledge base in South Carolina criminal law as well as other fields.
Responsibilities and Duties:
Statewide Legal Services:
- Provide High-Quality Client Representation: Level of representation can be anywhere from advice and counsel to court representation, which is determined by the entire South Carolina team through our intake and case consult processes. Communicate with clients and manage a caseload with the support of other South Carolina team members. Issue-spot and identify cases that would be a strong fit for in-depth legal support and opportunities for high-impact litigation.
- Run Statewide Clinical Programming: Assist with legal clinics throughout the state for community members with arrest and conviction histories, including coordinating logistics, outreaching to the community and volunteers, and identifying partnership opportunities with other service providers.
Public Education, Resource Development, and Partner-based Trainings:
- Lead Statewide Trainings: In collaboration with other team members, coordinate and execute trainings and educational presentations to community members, service providers, lawyers, and other agencies to give tools and know-how to navigate reentry legal barriers.
- Broaden Statewide Educational Resources: Assist in developing R&R’s legal resources, such as “know-your-rights” presentations, one-page fact sheets, and educational videos, as well as other mediums.
Management, Partnership Development, and Recruitment:
- Team Members: Mentor and manage legal fellows, law clerks, legal contractors and assistants, or other junior attorneys as R&R grows its South Carolina team. Manage law firm relationships as they pertain to legal clinics and workshops.
- Partnership Development: Collaborate with existing partners and maintain open client-referral channels. Work with statewide partners that serve system-impacted people to bring R&R’s holistic reentry services to their communities and clients. Expand partnerships throughout the state with social service providers, legal service providers, and the directly-impacted community to increase our work across South Carolina.
- Recruitment: Assist with proactively recruiting and managing a diverse group of R&R volunteers, including pro bono attorneys, law students, undergraduates, and non-legal volunteers, in support of South Carolina legal programs.
Data Tracking and Administration:
- Maintain organized files, systems, and databases for all of R&R’s legal programs; track client and programmatic data and outcomes; address client matters in a timely and efficient manner.
- Licensed to practice law in South Carolina and in good standing with the South Carolina Bar; proficiency in Microsoft 365, case management software and general technology skills; valid South Carolina driver’s license; willingness to travel as needed; bilingual or multilingual is a plus.
- Formerly incarcerated and/or system-impacted individuals with lived experience strongly encouraged to apply.
- Experience working with system-impacted individuals preferred.
- At least 2 years of legal experience with a strong foundation in client representation preferred.
- Adaptable, flexible, and eager to solve ever-changing legal issues in a fast-paced environment.
- Collaborative and proactive team player with a positive, professional, and humble attitude.
- Creative, thoughtful, and holistic in problem-solving client matters.
- Zealous communicator that takes initiative with our South Carolina Legal Director to create the strongest programs and services possible.
- Organized and detail-oriented with excellent time-management, multitasking, and prioritization skills.
- Committed to social and racial justice as well as criminal legal system reform.
Compensation and Benefits: This position is full-time with a competitive salary. R&R provides employment benefits that include medical, dental, and vision care, as well as the payment of state bar fees, professional and management training, some CLE courses, plus three weeks (15 days) of PTO, and an additional two weeks of PTO for holiday closures.
Application Instructions: To apply for this position, please send a resume, cover letter, two short writing samples (one legal and one non-legal [such as a client letter or the like]), and at least three references with contact information in an email directed to Anastasia Walker, South Carolina Director of Legal Services, at [email protected]. Resumes without a cover letter, writing samples, and references will not be reviewed. Position will remain open until filled.
Root & Rebound is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from all qualified individuals including formerly incarcerated and/or system-involved individuals, people of color, persons with disabilities, ethnic and religious minorities, women, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and gender variant individuals. We depend on a diverse team to accomplish our mission!