August 2, 2021
Tribal Regions Staff Attorney
Root & Rebound seeks an attorney looking to support tribal communities in Northern California impacted by mass incarceration.
About Root & Rebound (R&R): Root & Rebound’s mission is to restore power and resources to the families and communities most harmed by mass incarceration through legal advocacy, public education, policy reform, and litigation— a model rooted in the needs and expertise of people who are directly impacted. You can learn more about our work in our 2020 Annual Report.
Employment Status: This is a full-time, exempt role, reporting to the Regional Director of Northern California Programs.
Commitment: Full-time position with an anticipated start date of November 1, 2021.
Location: Based in or around Eureka, CA, with travel across northern California and, periodically, to Oakland, CA.
About the Tribal Regions Staff Attorney Position: R&R seeks a Staff Attorney to deepen and broaden our Northern California Tribal legal programs–expanding our direct legal services, growing partnerships, and increasing impact with the Yurok Tribe and other indigenous communities in Northern California. More about our partnership with the Yurok Tribe can be found on our website, here, and here. The Staff Attorney will work in the community, taking on a caseload from local referrals as well as through our statewide reentry legal hotline.
This position is a unique opportunity for an attorney to do highly impactful reentry legal services in under-resourced Northern California tribal communities. R&R’s practice is unique in multiple ways: we are holistic, focusing on the many legal barriers that individuals face resulting from a conviction. This is an amazing opportunity for an attorney to engage in community lawyering and maximize impact in Northern California.
Our ideal candidate is compassionate, personable, and passionate about advancing the rights of system-impacted individuals and expanding R&R’s services, partnerships, and impact across Northern California. A successful candidate in this role will be able to communicate effectively and be open to regular check-ins via video conference calls with various members of the R&R team.
Responsibilities & Duties: The Staff Attorney’s responsibilities & duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
Direct Legal Services:
- Conduct holistic legal intakes, through R&R’s Friday reentry legal hotline and community referrals, to assess for a client’s reentry legal needs and develop an appropriate legal services plan, in the areas of family and children, employment, housing, parole and probation, court debt, immigration, state identification, and any other legal issue area relevant to their successful reentry;
- Carry and independently manage a client caseload; and
- Coordinate, or lead, where appropriate, regional know-your-rights trainings on key reentry topics and legal clinics.
Community Outreach and Partnership:
- Elevate the barriers faced by our clients in reentry to create structural and policy change that advances second chance opportunities and social justice;
- Build partnerships and relationships with indigenous community groups and organizations;
- Expand and maintain strong relationships with local law firms, law school clinics, volunteer attorneys, and legal service organizations; and
- In collaboration with the R&R policy team, and as capacity allows, push for policy reform on issues affecting indigenous communities, including speaking with media or congressional representatives, or participating in communications campaigns.
Fundraising and Resource Development:
- Assist in efforts to secure and maintain funding for the organization;
- Maintain necessary records for grant proposals, reports, and audits;
- Work with R&R team members to draft and submit grant proposals and progress reports;
- Seek and elevate potential new funding opportunities to sustain and grow R&R’s broader Northern California work;
- Support public relations, development, communications, and storytelling projects as needed; and
- Other duties as requested based on departmental and/or organizational needs.
- Ability to practice law in the state of CA, in good standing;
- Demonstrated dedication to social, racial, and economic justice;
- Strong work ethic, resilience, and determination;
- Flexible and able to prioritize work effectively with excellent time management;
- Ability to travel within Northern California to visit and represent clients, hold meetings with partners, and the like; and
- Ability to periodically travel throughout California and to R&R’s Oakland office, when it is safe to do so.
- At least 3 years of post-law school, legal experience;
- Experience working with system-impacted individuals; and
- Proficiency in Spanish.
Compensation & Benefits:
The Tribal Regions Staff Attorney role is a full-time, exempt position, with a competitive salary commensurate with experience. Employment benefits at R&R include:
- Medical, vision, and dental care;
- Relocation Stipend, if necessary;
- Employer-sponsored 403(b) retirement plan;
- Internal and external professional development opportunities;
- Three (3) weeks of paid time off per year, plus holiday closures, which includes additional office closure around the December holidays;
- Office closures for seven (7) federal holidays, Juneteenth, and Indigenous Peoples’ Day;
- Opportunities to engage in professional development;
- Four (4) hours of Activism Time each month for employees to engage in social justice activities of their choosing, pending supervisor approval; and
- Sabbatical Program for eligible employees after five (5) years of service.
Application Instructions: To apply for this position, please send a resume, cover letter, a legal writing sample of no more than 10 pages where you were the primary author, and at least three references with contact information in an email directed to Eva DeLair at [email protected] with “Tribal Regions Attorney Application” in the subject line. Resumes without a cover letter, writing samples, and references will not be reviewed. Applications are preferred by August 29 but will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Root & Rebound is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from all qualified individuals including formerly incarcerated and/or system-involved individuals, people of color, persons with disabilities, ethnic and religious minorities, women, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and gender variant individuals. Individuals with lived experience with the criminal justice system are strongly encouraged to apply.
Join our mailing list.